Happy first day of September! I still can’t believe how time flies. The months are just blurring together now. August was…an interesting reading month I’d say. I read 11 books which are more than I thought I’d read considering how slumpy I’d been feeling most of the month. I read some pretty fun books and found a few series to keep up with. Read on to find out what I read last month! And do let me know what your favourite reads of August were 💖
1. The Maid by Nita Prose – ★★★ || This was a really interesting book! Unlike anything I’ve ever read before. A fresh take on a mystery. (Thank you to Penguin Random House International for the gifted review copy!)
2. Unearthed: A Jessica Cruz Story by Lilliam Rivera & Steph C. – ★★★★ || Really adored this one! Loved the artwork and colours. The story was really great too and made me tear up a few times. (Thank you to DC Ink for the gifted review copy!)
3. How To Break Up With Friends by Dr. Hannah Korrel – ★★★★ || This was recommended to me on Instagram and it was a really interesting read. Had plenty of activities and moments of reflection.
4. The Family Plot by Megan Collins – ★★★ || I was hooked from the very beginning and I’ll be honest, I couldn’t put the book down. I was very interested in what was going to happen and I loved how odd the family was. I am disappointed in the way this wrapped up though. I feel like there were a lot of things I just couldn’t really believe? It was strange and it felt like a lot of the plot was right there in front of us.
5. The Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski – ★★★ || This went a little bit downhill. I absolutely love The Witcher short stories. Both collections were really amazing but somehow book one was lacking. It felt really drawn out and I just feel like nothing really happened in this one. A few key moments here and there but that’s it.
6. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer – ★★★ || Really enjoyed this story. I loved the movie when it came out so I was really interested in reading the book. This was good but it focused more on introducing the characters than solving a mystery. I think the movie brought it together much better.
7. The Case of the Left-Handed Lady by Nancy Springer – ★★★★ || I preferred this one much more than book one! This was more mystery focused and overall it was a really great read. Felt more young adult than middle grade with the content though.
8. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire – ★★★★ || I’ve put off reading this for so long but I finally decided to get to it! This was so weird and dark but so much fun. Looking forward to reading the others.
9. Whistle by E. Lockhart – ★★★★ || I’m clearly a sucker for DC Ink and this was really quirky and fun! (Thank you to DC Ink for the gifted review copy!)
10. Feel Your Way Through by Kelsea Ballerini – ★★★★ || Absolutely love Kelsea’s music and I was so excited to read it! Loved her poems and some have really stuck with me. (Thank you to Penguin Random House International for the gifted review copy!)
11. The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets by Nancy Springer – ★★★ || Might see a bit of an obsession with the Enola Holmes books? I’ve been in the mood for smaller books to keep my focus and I keep going back to this series when I mean to space them out 🙈
What were your favourite reads in August?